Which register so you think is appropriate for the hallway, the classroom, the bus, social networking sites, journal writing, or an academic paper?
- Frozen: Laws and Ceremonies.
- Formal: Lectures, Sermons, ordering food, being introduced to someone’s grandparents.
- Consultative: Business meetings and school classroom.
- Teachers expect this during whole class, small group, and paired discussions.
- Teachers expect this in the hallway, too — though usually we experience a casual in the hallway.
- Casual: In a booth at a restaurant, hanging out with friends.
- Intimate: Only between closest of friends and family, includes coined words and inside jokes.
One may move up or down one level (but not more) without offending someone.
(for more information, please start your research at wikipedia.org)